International Waffle Day Recipes!
13 January 2020 by Craig Allen
For some people March 25th is just another day, however for all us foodies out there we of course know that March 25th is INTERNATIONAL WAFFLE DAY!
As we bask in all its glory and rejoice at being able to create and recreate or favourite waffle varieties we here at GSN HQ are giving your a brief history lesson on its heritage and of course some of our favourite waffle recipes be it Sweet or Savoury!
Originating from Sweden, International waffle day is celebrated exactly 9 months before Christmas. It marks the changing of the seasons between winter and spring where wood chopping would be put to the side for more seasonal tasks..... such as waffling making! Although tracing back to the Ancient Greeks, it wasn't until in 1869 New York that the waffle became what it is today with its patented waffle iron forged appearance inspired by French craftsmanship became what it is today.
If your feeling seasonal and getting your waffle on in the kitchen this weekend we want to see what your waffling on about! If it's worthy of a photo then show us using @GSNchicken or @goldstandardnutrition !
Making waffles is easy with 3 simple steps!
- Blend or mix all your favourite ingredients together
- Pour into a waffle maker or your pre-heated pan and mould then cook through
- Serve and Enjoy!
Spinach & Chicken Protein Waffles
This recipe is straight from Popeye himself with a serving of our famous GSN steam cooked chicken breast
- 1 Large egg
- 1/3 Cup non-fat plain Greek or skyr yoghurt
- 1/3 cup wholegrain oats
- 1 1/2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 defrosted GSN steam cooked chicken breast
Healthy Bacon & Cheese Waffles
A classic combination for a Sunday Morning!
- 1 cup of cauliflower rice or roughly chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup of egg whites
- 1/4 cup of wholewheat flour
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tbsp pre-cooked bacon medallions
Tip: Top with Sour Cream for that extra zing!
Chocolate, Banana & Peanut Butter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 banana
- 40g of wholegrain oats
- 1 tbsp of wholegrain peanut butter
- 1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder
Create your own:
This one is a great base for your favourite flavours and toppings
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour (sifted)
- 1 scoop of your favourite protein powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- 2-4 tbsp/ 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
Happy Waffle Weekend from Team GSN!