Dubbed as ‘natures energy drink‘ Coconut Water is right on trend at the moment – and rightly so!
A drink once reserved for those exotic beaches, it is now available in an ever increasing number of shops and vendors, with it’s benefits and advantages over traditional drinks being touted at every opportunity.
Whilst some of these claims are wild and speculative, some are based on facts and without claiming it will cure every problem, we decided to take a look and ask why you should try coconut water.
Packed full of nutrients and vitamins coconut water boasts an array of health benefits, but is it all it’s cracked up to be?
- Natural source of electrolytes. Fresh coconuts are one of the richest natural sources of electrolytes and can be used to prevent dehydration when exercising. This means you can refuel and re-hydrate quicker when you need it most.
- Can aid with weight loss. With an extremely low fat content and rich flavour, coconut water is often hailed as a great weight-loss aid due to it being an appetite suppressant.
- Naturally rich in potassium. Coconut water has potassium in abundance, this is helpful for lowering lactic acid which, in turn, helps speed up recovery and decreases delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS).
- High in magnesium. Magnesium is vital in your body as a muscle relaxant which can help prevent your muscles from cramping. It’s especially helpful after doing endurance exercise as this is when your body is most likely to cramp up which makes coconut water the ideal post workout drink.
- Keeping hydrated. With all the buzz and hype surrounding coconut water it’s easy to forget what makes up the majority of the liquid…Water! Coconut water is a much healthier alternative to sugar loaded sports drinks and as far as hydration goes, if it means you keep your water intake up using coconut water, it’s certainly a more beneficial alternative to other products on the market.
Some of the suggested benefits of this ‘super’ drink may be stretching a little thin but it’s undeniable that coconut water certainly is a healthy alternative to staying hydrated.
If you have a blog post you would like to share with us please email mike@goldstandardnutrition or visit mygsn.co.uk