Here at MyGSN HQ we love delicious, healthy and convenient foods! That's why we have created an easy-to-follow recipe for these high protein flapjacks.Whether you are a baking pro or this is your first recipe, these must-try's are so easy to make and devilishly moreish.
We are well known as, and proud to be one of the UK's leading distributors in frozen foods, specialising in our frozen steam cooked chicken breasts and high protein ready meals. With this is mind, most of our recipes and blogs to date have featured our meals and chicken, so we thought...it's about time we provide another great recipe that isn't frozen!
Let us introduce you to our high protein flapjacks! Using this simple and delicious recipe you can create the base for a high protein flapjack that could be manipulated into many flavours or have many additions. Why out of all things have we chosen to share a flapjack recipe though? Well...
To create a high protein flapjack you essentially need a delicate mix of each macro-nutrient:
- Carbohydrates - Oats, honey, dried fruits are mostly commonly used
- Fat - Traditionally butter, however coconut oil, peanut butter or almond butter are great, healthier alternatives.
- Protein - Whey protein, egg white and/or vegetarian or vegan protein powders would all tend to be the best and easiest way to increase the protein in your flapjack.
This mix of macro-nutrients helps to create a perfect balance that is ideal to use as a pre or post-workout snack or an energy-dense, pick me up through the day! Adding protein to the flapjack will also help to slow down the digestion of carbohydrates so that you have a more prolonged and consistent release of energy.
So, here it is, the recipe itself...
- 150g plain oats
- 125g peanut butter
- 75g whey protein
- 180ml almond milk
- 20g honey
- A pinch of salt
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir through the full mixture until everything is evenly spread throughout.
- Prepare a baking tray, lining with grease proof paper and a little bit of coconut oil or butter to prevent the flapjack from sticking.
- Spread the mixture into the baking tray evenly, so that the flapjacks are around 2cm in thickness.
- Leave the mixture to chill in for fridge for 30 minutes.
- While the mixture is in the fridge, preheat your oven to 200c.
- Cook in the oven for 10 minutes, until the flapjack begins to turn golden brown on top.
- Allow the flapjack to cool for a few minutes before taking out of the baking tray. As first it will be a little bit soft but after a few minutes it will firm up.
- Slice into bite size pieces.
And the best thing about these beauties is that they will keep for a good few days if kept in an air tight container!!!
Our flapjack recipe creates the base of ingredients you can then swap and adjust to your liking.You might want to add dried fried such as cranberries, goji berries or cherries to provide some extra sweetness. Or you could also top the flapjacks with yoghurt mixed with protein powder, creating a soft, high protein layer on the top of the flapjack or maybe just some normal chocolate if you're not watching your macros.
Here's a couple of GSN recommend changes you can make to take these flapjacks to a whole new level...
Fruit & Nut Flapjacks
Add these additional ingredients into the mixing bowl before refrigerating the mix for variation.
- 30g flaked almonds
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 10g peanut butter - as extra will be needed to help set more of the mix.
- 20ml almond milk - also needed to help the mix set.
Lemon Drizzle Flapjacks
Similarly, add these ingredients below, before refrigerating the mix, to add flavour and variation.
- Juice from 1 x lemon (you can add more of less if depending on how 'lemony' you would like them to taste).
- 1/2 - 1 tsp stevia extract - as the lemon is very bitter, you will need some additional sweetness to balance out the flavour. Stevia will be a great way to make those flapjacks a little sweeter without adding too much sugar.
Now you have our complete recipe for these delicious high protein flapjacks you're armed with everything you need to know to go away and start baking! If you do decide to give these a try, please do share with us on social media via our Instagram and Facebook page @goldstandardnutrition . We are always keen to share customer feedback and recipes to help us grow #TeamGSN